26/5/13 - Derwent Canoe Club race on the Derwent River at New Norfolk. The race was 10km & I started in the fast group, knowing that I would end up at the back of that field. The div 2 group left 5 minutes before and I was hoping to catch a couple of them.
At the start I didn't get on the fast wake because I haven't done enough paddling yet, especially fast sprint starts. That should be better in the next few months.
I caught up to Steve after about 3km & stayed on his tail until roughly 6km then paddled alongside. Steve had a better bridge turn & finished a bit stronger. This 10km paddle just reinforced that I need to do lots more work.
27/5/13 - MTB ride after work - When I finished at 3pm I headed for Clarence MTB park. It was beautiful in the sun but very chilly in the shaded areas. I mainly did practice in the spots that I've had trouble with - the tight, steep switchbacks. In each spot that I couldn't get around I kept going back to re-try it. On a couple I managed to work them out but some I am still stuck on.
I spent about 15 mins doing continuous laps around the short pumps track and I was slowly improving as I worked out how to pump the bike for momentum. I finished with a ride up the xc course to Tunnel Hill & back, getting to the car just after dusk as the temperature plummeted with clear skies.
Matt's Trip Report Pages
- Tony's trips new link: http://tonywatton.net.au/
- Kayak around Maria Island - day trip
- Kayak Circumnavigation of Bruny Island
- Precipitous Bluff - kayak & walk, 3 days, March 20...
- Precipitous Bluff - kayak & walk Jan 2008
- Matthew Watton, Tasmania Circumnavigation attempt ...
- Matthew Watton - solo Tasmania Circumnavigation #1...
- Matthew Watton - solo Tasmania Circumnavigation #2...
- Matthew Watton - solo Tasmania Circumnavigation #3...
- Steve Dineen's solo kayak circumnavigation Tasmania
- Federation Peak
- Farmhouse Creek Track - Judds Cavern
- Port Welshpool to Hogan Island & return
- Port Davey Track walk
- Huonville to Hobart kayak paddle
- John Brewster and Earle de Blonville - First ever ...